- 1 cup plain low fat kefir OR 1 cup plain whole milk kefir
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 apple, grated
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda together in a large bowl. Set aside.Crack the egg into a medium sized bowl and whisk until fully incorporated and frothy. Add in the applesauce, kefir and butter and whisk well. Add liquid mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined (there will be lumps).
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. When up to temperature, lightly coat with cooking spray. Drop ¼ cup dollops of batter onto the hot pan and sprinkle with grated apples. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until bubbles form and pop, then flip. Continue cooking until golden brown on the bottom, about 2-3 more minutes. Continue with the rest of the batter until all pancakes are complete.
- Top with syrup, more grated apples, peanut butter, or toppings of your choice. Enjoy with a nice glass of cold kefir!