NHPS operates 17 school health centers (SHCs) and eight school dental clinics with five community partners:
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS about School Health Centers
What is a School Health Center?
School Health Centers are located in the school and offer an integrative set of services by licensed clinicians that include medical, mental health, and in some schools, dental care to students during the school day who must attend the school AND be enrolled in the SHC.
What services are offered to students?
- assessment, diagnosis and treatment of acute injuries and illnesses;
- well-child physical exams and sports physicals;
- prescribing medications;
- laboratory testing;
- chronic disease management (asthma, diabetes, obesity);
- diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases.
- crisis intervention;
- assessment and diagnosis of mental health conditions;
- individual, family and group therapy;
- case management;
- referral and follow-up for specialty care.
- fluoride varnish;
- fillings - by dentist;
How can my child receive services in the SHC?
- Any student who attends a school with a SHC is eligible for services.
- Parents must complete a permission form for their child to receive any SHC or dental services.
- Please click HERE to access SHC and dental permission forms. Return completed forms to your child’s SHC.
Will the SHC replace my child’s doctor, counselor or dentist?
No. These are additional services available to your child during school hours so your child can stay in school and you don’t need to miss work or bring your child to a provider during school hours. Our clinicians consult with student’s regular providers as needed.
Does it cost anything for these services?
No. Parents will never receive a bill for SHC/dental services. NHPS and/or our partner agencies will, however, bill your child’s health insurance company for eligible services.
Links to SHC and Dental Permission Forms and Brochures
- SHC Permission Form (English)
- SHC Permission Form (Spanish)
- SHC Brochure (English)
- SHC Brochure (Spanish)
- Dental Permission form (one form – English-Spanish)
- Dental brochure (one brochure - English-Spanish)
Which schools have SHCs and how do I contact them?
Augusta Lewis Troup School (K-8)
Barnard Environmental Studies School (Pre-K-8)
Brennan Rogers School of Communications and Media (Pre-K-8)
Roberto Clemente Leadership Academy (K-8)
Clinton Avenue School (K-8)
Davis Street Arts and Academics School (Pre-K-8)
Fair Haven School (K-8)
Hill Central Music Academy (Pre-K-8)
John Martinez School (K-8)
King Robinson Inter-District Magnet School (Pre-K-8)
Lincoln Bassett School (K-6)
Mauro Sheridan Science, Tech. and Communications School (Pre-K-8)
Truman School (K-8)
Riverside Academy (9-12)
Hill Regional Career High School
James Hillhouse High School
Wilbur Cross High School
Which school have dental clinics?
- Augusta Lewis Troup School (K-8)
- Barnard Environmental Studies School (Pre-K-8)
- King Robinson Inter-District Magnet School (Pre-K-8)
- Hill Central Music Academy (Pre-K-8)
- Truman School (K-8)
How do school SHC/dental services help me and my child?
- Little or no missed school time for students
- No missed work time or parents
- No transportation problems
- No language barriers
- Continuity of care
- Better dental health – fewer cavities